Saturday, March 19, 2011

Friday Five- Favorite post show snacks








Doing theatre has me on a strange eating schedule.  I can't eat too much before the show but I also don't want a full dinner after the show at 10pm or later.  So I have found some snacks that tend to hit the spot. Some are healthy and some are not...but oh so good. 

1.  Goldfish
They have to be the flavor blast kind. I LOVE the xtra cheddar and there is a new fave flavor-white cheddar.  They don't offer much nutritional value but they also don't have any partially hydrogenated oils either.  Sadly, these are a staple in my life...I even gave them up last year for Lent : 0).  When we lived in NYC we took a road trip to MA.  On our way back we stopped at an outlet mall in CT.  They have a Pepperidge Farm outlet and I bought the BIG carton of goldfish...I was so happy...and then remembered I had nowhere to put them in my tiny apt in the city.

2. Frozen yogurt or light ice cream
-I am a sucker for the fro yo.  Publix (really great grocery store chain out of FL) has some great light ice cream and frozen yogurt options.  My favorites are the Raspberry Roadrunner, Key Lime Pie and a newbie is Mint Cookie.  This especially hits the spot during the summer.  Who am I kidding...I can eat it year round!


3. Hummus and Veggies or crackers
-I LOVE hummus. My favorite brand is currently Sabra.  I love the variety in the flavors: pine nut, sun-dried tomato, garlic, roasted red pepper.  My favorite is the sun-dried tomato.  Harris Teeter(another great grocery store) has a good smoked paprika hummus.  When we were in NYC, there was a fab little Lebanese place around the corner called "El Shater".  They had the BEST hummus.  We'd always go get a little container to take to Bible Study.  The shop would literally stop when we'd walk in...we didn't speak Lebanese...but they loved us : )

4. Lean Cuisine egg rolls
-I know this is strange...but they are so good. Drew actually found these and they are keepers.  Our favorite so far is the fajita rolls, though they have asian and garlic chicken options.  They are light and a warm option after a long show.

5. Cereal
-I tend to eat yogurt for breakfast but I love a good bowl of cereal.  Sometimes at night it just hits the spot.  My favorites are Nature's Path Heritage flakes and Barbara's Shredded Spoonfuls.  I don't really like sugary cereals.  These all have a good fiber and protein content too!



2 comments: