Monday, March 14, 2011

Christmas in March

I got a present from the hubs today.  A BIKE!  I am so stinking excited about this present.  I've been wanting one for almost 9 months now.  I even added some options to my amazon wishlist in time for Christmas this year.  But I did not get one for Christmas... in December at least.  We never celebrate Christmas at our own own home.  It's either at my dad and stepmom's house in NC or Drew's folks in GA.  So...he would have a hard time hiding that from me as we drove from state to state. 

Fast forward to March.  The weather has been super nice in Charleston and I have been on a mission to find the perfect bike.  I love working out and dancing but I want another activity to do and biking is my choice. I have been trying to be frugal in my quest.  I've searched online, at Target and Wal-mart, at local bike shops, and even craigslist.  I've been looking for a beach cruiser...not just b/c we live at the beach.  I always had beach cruisers as a child and loved them! My mountain bike experience has never been great.  I like the ease and comfort of the cruiser. 

After searching and researching I finally decided on a local, awesome bike shop called affordabike. They custom build bikes to your liking.  It's a really cool company started by two local guys in Charleston. Check out their website and you can play around with the "build your bike" section.  It's so cool. 

I tend to over think things for a super long time.  So I decided today was THE day to get the bike.  I talked Drew into going with me...thank goodness.  You can start with a basic steel frame @ $110 or get the aluminum rustproof frame @ $160.  I was planning on going with the cheaper option, but after thinking it over and getting the go ahead from the hubs I went with the aluminum frame.  The rustproof will be great since I do planning on riding on the beach some and it is also a lighter frame, which will be helpful since we live on the 2nd floor. After that you can get the basic accessories or you can upgrade.  I did a couple of little upgrades-chain guard, fenders, better pedals and even a cute little basket. It was more then I intended to spend but I am very happy with my final decisions.  Well, I think I am.  I don't actually have the bike yet b/c it takes them 2-3 days to make. But I am excited about the model I made online and am sure I will like the final project.  I will take pics and post soon.

Christmas in March rocks!   And so does my hubs. 

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! I love beach cruisers too, there's just something very cool about them. I can't wait for pictures!

    ReplyDelete