Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Recipes-I'm a Pepper, You're a Pepper

For all of you bell pepper lovers, here are 2 yummo recipes that I tried this week, thanks to Real Simple.  Both were excellent and received the Hubs seal of approval. I don't have any pics...will try to remember to do that.

Couscous-Stuffed Peppers
1/2 lb ground beef
1/2 cup of couscous
4 scallions
1 cup feta
1/2 cup chopped dried apricots (I omitted b/c I didn't have any)
4 bell peppers (color of your choice)

Brown 1/2 lb lean ground beef. Cook 1/2 cup of couscous according to the package directions.  Mix beef, couscous, scallions, feta, apricots and season w/ salt and pepper. I used Garlic salt.  Stuff 4 hollowed out bell peppers (I used Red b/c I don't like green) and bake at 400 F, covered, until tender 45-50 min.  We served w/ a salad.

Tortellini w/ Eggplant and Peppers
2 tbls EVOO
1 med eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2 bell peppers, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (I used one red and one yellow)
4 cloves garlic
Salt and pepper
crushed red pepper flakes
3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
1 lb tortellini-fresh or frozen.  (it called for cheese tortellini but I used spinach tortellini from Trader Joes)
1/2 cup Parmesan
1/2 cup parsley chopped (i didn't use this)

Heat the oil in a large skillet over med-high heat. Add the eggplant, bell peppers, 1/2 tsp of salt and 1/4 of pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies begin to soften, 6 to 8 min. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, for 1 min. Add the broth & tortellini. Cover and simmer over med heat, stirring occasionally, until pasta is cooked through and most of the broth is absorbed, 12 to 15 min. Fold in parsley and 1/4 cup of parm. Spoon into bowls and add more parm.  I skipped this and just added Parm on top after I put in bowls.  Regardless it was great and we added, once again, a salad to finish our meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment